There's but a few bright stars in the sealed headphone universe and fewer yet within reach of budget-conscious headphone lovers seeking a well-priced can that does all things really well. Enter the brazenly competent Audio Technica ATH-M40x, a high-performance sealed [aka 'closed-back'] headphone that studio craftsmen, portable music buffs, pro DJ's and budding audiophiles will all find attractive. The M40x has outstanding overall clarity and its clean detail with cleanly reproduced extension both high & low will surprise many when comparing it to other sealed-back models anywhere near this price. Expect impressive tonal accuracy with a true presentation of the source quality for precise imaging of your music and recordings.
And for those needing listening privacy or thorough noise-blocking on your daily commutes, the M40 has a solid 'monitoring grade' ambient noise seal that, when combined with top-shelf sound quality performance, makes these rather unassuming cans among the very best 'mid-priced' sealed headphone values in the entire industry in our humble HeadRoom opinion.
The Audio Technica ATH-M40x headphone comes with two detachable cables and the collapsible headband design makes for easy portability and convenient storage or transit. The M40x's cool black-matte look with stainless steel ring accents is very professional-looking without being overstated. Plush black pleather circumaural earpads go fully around the ear for most wearers and swivel 180 degrees for easy one-ear monitoring during DJ work or live mixing needs.
The headphone cables exit from the left earcup (nicely eliminating pesky 'Y-cord' tangles) and terminate to a 3.5mm (1/8") 'mini-plug' straight jack. A full-size 1/4" screw-on stereo plug adapter is handily included with the M40x along with a storage pouch. A free 2-year Audio-Technica manufacturer's warranty is standard when proof-purchased at verified authorized AT dealers -- like us here at HeadRoom since 1992!
- Excellent choice for personal listening as well as studio tracking/mixing and DJ monitoring
- Critically acclaimed acoustic performance praised by audio engineers and pro audio reviews
- Proprietary 40 mm large-aperture drivers with rare earth magnets and copper-clad aluminum wire voice coils
- Exceptional clarity throughout extended frequency range with potent tight bass response
- Circumaural earcup design contours around the ears for excellent sound isolation in loud ambient environments
- 90° swiveling earcups for easy 'one-ear' monitoring uses
- Professional-grade earpad and headband materials offer great durability and wearing comfort
- Collapsible folding headband for space-saving travel portability
- Two detachable headphone cables provided (3.0 m coiled cord; 3.0 m straight cord)
- Driver Type: Dynamic
- Impedance @ 1kHz: 35 ohms
- Sensitivity: 98 dB SPL/V
- Frequency Response: 15Hz-24kHz
- Connector Type: 3.5mm (1/8")
- Cable Length: 3 m and 1.2 m (straight), 3 m (coiled)
- Cable Style: Coiled and Straight Left-Side
- Weight: 240 g (8.5 oz) w/o cord
- Manufacturer Warranty: 2 year
What's In The Box:
- ATH-M40X headphones
- Protective carrying pouch
- 6.3 mm (1/4") screw-on adapter
- 3 meter straight cable w/ 1/8" termination
- 3 meter coiled cable with 1/8" termination